Are you finding that after upgrading from Kodi 17.6 to 18, your addons are being deleted? Do you happen to be a Windows Kodi user? If this sounds like you, then come and read this guide to help fix your problem!
For some users who installed Kodi via the Windows Store, your upgrade appears to be corrupting and showing default settings and data available.
Why Are Addons Deleted After Kodi 18 Windows Update?
The Kodi 17.6 version in the Windows store is not a standard UWP Windows package. It is a bridging app that allows standard software to be included in the Windows store.
For the final v18 Leia release of Kodi, it is a true UWP package. It has been approved by Windows.
These two versions of Kodi – 17.6 and 18 – use two different locations to save your addon and settings data. When your Kodi is upgraded to v18, it is looking in a news location for these files and cannot find them by default.
Solution #1 – Download the EXE Version of Kodi 18
You can download the EXE version of Kodi 18 instead of going through the Windows Store. You will have future control over your Kodi updates and the executable will look to the old location where your Kodi files and settings are.
To download and install the EXE version of Kodi 18 on Windows:
- Go to the Kodi 18 Download Page.
- Select INSTALLER (64 bit) and run the installer
- After Kodi has been installed, DO NOT start it.
- Navigate to C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\ and copy the Kodi folder
- Go to C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming and paste the Kodi folder here.
- Start Kodi
- If you are satisfied that all your data has been transferred, you can now uninstall the Windows Store version of Kodi.
Solution #2 – Move Your Data to new Kodi 18 Location
If you choose to keep the version of Kodi supplied by the Windows Store, then you simply need to move your old data and settings information to the new location.
- Navigate to C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kodi\ and copy the contents of that folder
- Go to C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalState\ and paste the contents.
- Start Kodi
Limitations of using UWP Kodi
There are a few limitations in the UWP package of Kodi 18 that you should be aware of. These may push you towards manually downloading and installing the EXE package instead.
Local Hard Drives are not available
A limitation of the UWP system. Local drives cannot be accessed. Use Solution 1 above
Kodi is only allowed permission to access the default Windows Videos, Music and Pictures library folders.
None of the media in my library plays
If your movies, tv shows and music are on local hard drives they will no longer be accessible to Kodi. See previous comment.
Cannot access SMB folders
The SMB Support (libsmb2) add-on must be installed from Add-ons > My add-ons > Virtual filesystems
Hopefully this helps Windows users with deleted addons after the Kodi 18 update. Comment below or get in touch with us on Twitter if you have any more questions.