There is a new easy way to create a Kodi build that is superior to traditional methods. Share and install Kodi addons with the Batch Installer functionality inside of the Git Browser for Kodi.
Traditional builds have a number of disadvantages:
- Builds are hundreds of megabytes in size, which is hard or impossible to host for free.
- The Kodi build developer has to spend a ton of configuration time to install addons and sources.
- There is no way to audit a build before you install it for some basic Kodi conventions: proper repositories, a list of the exact addons and settings included in the addon, etc.
- Casual build makers who have no hosting must join a “wizard” in order to host their build.
- The first time you install the build, it must update all Kodi addons, a process that takes a while and is prone to errors and corrupted files.
With the new Batch Installer, you can easily create a Kodi build that has these advantages:
- The file size is no more than a few kilobytes.
- Your build can be hosted and accessed for free from GitHub.
- You can update your build by editing a single file.
- You can show your followers exactly what is included in the build.
- You don’t have to join another wizard or find a hosting solution.
Below, we will show you both how to install a Kodi build with the Batch Installer and also how to create a Kodi build that you share and show off to other Kodi users.
How to Install the Git Browser Kodi Addon (Needed to Install Builds)
- From the Kodi main menu, navigate to SYSTEM > File Manager > Add Source > None
- Type the following EXACTLY http://fusion.tvaddons.co and select Done
- Highlight the box underneath and enter a name for this media Source like “tva”. and then click OK
- Go back to your home screen.
- ON Kodi 17 Krypton or later: Select Add-ons > Add-on Browser
- ON Kodi 16 or earlier: Select SYSTEM > Add-Ons
- Select Install from Zip File > “tva” > kodi-repos > repository.xbmchub-x.x.x.zip and wait for the Add-on enabled notification
- Select Install from Repository > TVAddons.co repository > Program Addons > Git Browser > Install
- Wait for Add-on enabled notification
If you want, you can click here to learn more about what the Git Browser is.
How to Install a Kodi Build with Batch Installer
- Launch the Git Browser Kodi addon you installed above.
- Select Search By GitHub Username.
- Select ** New Search **
- Enter in the GitHub username of the Batch Installer you want to install and then click on OK.
- choose the “installer” zip file you want to install. Batch Installer’s will always be colored in a light orange color.
- When prompted to confirm the install of the Batch Installer, click on Yes.
- Wait a few minutes for the Kodi Build Batch Installer to finish. When it is done, click on Restart to restart your Kodi device.
What Kodi restarts, your Batch Installer will be complete and the Kodi build will be installed!
How to Create a Kodi Build for Batch Installer
To create a Kodi build for Batch Installer, you must create a single manifest file for your build. The manifest file contains all of the addons and Kodi settings that will be configured when a user installs your Kodi build.
To download a sample Batch Installer manifest file, click here.
The Manifest file is split into a few specific sections. You simply have to fill in these sections in order to create a new build:
The addons section is for listing all of the addons and repositories that you want to install when you create a Kodi build and install it. Each addon in manifest file takes on the following format:
X is the name of the addon and Y is the GitHub username where that addon is located. The only required part to create a Kodi build is this addons section. However, there are other parts to the manifest file that you can edit in order to customize your build further.
The configs area allows you to customize the configuration of any of the addon or repository you install via the addons section. In order to enable this area, you must include a new folder called “configs” within your Batch Installer. Inside of the configs folder, you can create or copy a Kodi file and update it to your liking.
In the manifest file, you can reference the configs folder you created, reference the file in the folder (eg. test.config) and then choose the destination that this file should be pasted.
Hint #1: The “special://” folder takes you to the root folder of Kodi’s configuration files and it is not dependent on your Kodi hardware.
The settings section is for assigning values within addons in your Batch Installer. You need to have your basic opening and closing “<settings>” tag and then you setup keys and values for each addon such as the following.
Build-in commands are for executing Kodi commands in order to finalize the setup of your Kodi Build / Batch Installer. You put all of your commands inside of a base “<builtins>” tag and execute each command within a “<command>” tag.
For example, the command below calls the Kodi “ReloadSkin()” function.
There is a great wiki guide that contains a list of all built-in Kodi commands which you can refer to.
The Batch Installer also includes the ability for you to called specific JSONRPC commands when you create a Kodi build. This section is wrapped in a “<jsonrpc>” header and then you can call commands by their method, params (parameters) and ID number.
This area is for advanced users only.
Click here for a sample list of built-in JSONRPC commands within Kodi.
How to Upload Your Batch Installer
Once you are done creating your manifest file and all of the associated config files, you simply zip them up and name them in the following format: “NAME-gitbrowser.installer-x-x-x.zip” where NAME is the name of your build and x-x-x is the version number of the build.
Create a new GitHub account and upload your batch installer zip. You can now install your build via the instructions at the top of this guide.
With the Batch Installer, you can create a Kodi build the exact same as you would traditionally, but with a ton of great advantages. Once you setup your manifest file once with the skin, settings, and customization the way that you want it, upkeep is very simple.
Check it out today!
PROTECT YOURSELF ON THE INTERNET
Sign up for a premium Kodi VPN and access the internet unrestricted. We offer exclusive discounts for NordVPN, the highest respected VPN in the Kodi community. It has some great features for users:
Apps for Android, iOS, Mac, Linux & more
Tier 1 hardware (no speed slowdown)
Access to servers hundreds of VPN servers