Are you a Kodi user? Have programming skills? Want to help with Kodi addon development and the community of users just like you? Read on below.
Kodi add-ons are developed and maintained by users just like you. Over time, the amount of Kodi users has skyrocketed but the amount of developers creating and looking for new content has stayed the same. You can help with Kodi addon development and help other Kodi users improve their experience just like yours.
Kodi is not plug-and-play and forget it. It requires a lot of upkeep and maintenance and a full fanbase of users who want to make Kodi better.
To get into Kodi addon development, a basic knowledge of the Python coding language is required. For anyone who has ever taken a programming language course, Python is similar and your skills should easily transfer. If you have no programming experience, here are some great resources to start off:
- Code Academy – A 13 hour do-it-yourself tutorial on learning Python and learning more than enough to develop your own Kodi addons forever.
- TutorialsPoint – An excellent source for beginners with no programming experience as this goes into some basic concepts before ramping things up.
- Learn Python The Hard Way – Don’t fear the title, this ebook is free digitally and is one of the best sources available to learn or brush up on your Python.
- TVADDONS Kodi Development Forums – This section of the TVA forums is dedicated to addon development.
- Official Kodi Development Wiki – The official Kodi Wiki also has a ton of great content specific to Kodi addon development.
If you don’t have time to become a full time programmer and get into full Kodi addon development, you can still make merge requests to existing add-ons and help out developers with their code. If you’ve ever noticed a broken link or section in an add-on (SportsDevil requests flood our inbox regularly), you can troubleshoot and fix these website scrapers yourself and help out all Kodi users!
Ready to jump in? Here are some great places to get started:
- Kodi Addon Development Git Site – this GitHub-style website from TVADDONS allows you to submit merge requests to existing addons or create your own.
- GitKraken GUI Git Client – This is a very good Git GUI interface for Windows, Mac and Linux.
- URLresolver GitHub Project – Help maintain the resolvers that pull links from websites online. This backbone is used by a ton of Kodi addons.
- OffshoreGit.com Release Distribution – this is where we recommend hosting your release repo. It’s free and safer than GitHub.
- Translate Kodi Addons – TVADDONS also needs multi-lingual users to help translate Kodi addons to other languages. No coding experience needed.
Believe it or not, a solid weekend of learning is all thats necessary and you will be well on your way to creating your own Kodi add-on and helping maintain the community.