The Kodi appearance menu allows you to change Kodi submenu shortcuts on the main screen, which is a common request that users have been asking us to highlight for some time now! The Kodi submenu shortcuts are quick access links on your Kodi main page underneath the main video, music, live tv, etc headings.
First, from the Kodi main menu, navigate to SYSTEM > Appearance > Under the ‘Skin’ tab > Settings and lets check out some of your other options first.
- Enabled auto-scrolling for plot and review – ON – Turning this on with slowly auto-scroll through the plot and review when a scraper grabs the information for you in an add-on like Genesis.
- Show “Paused” in picture slideshow – Selects whether the word “Paused” is shown in the corner of your picture slideshow when you have it paused.
- Play Trailers in a window – OFF – If this is on, movie trailer will play inside of a box on top of your skin when you play it. Off will play the trailer in full screen.
- Hide flagging read from video filenames – This selects whether or not Kodi will display the video quality (HDTV, DVD, Blu-Ray) for you if it is contained in the file name. You can choose whether this is important to you.
- Play TV theme songs in video library (TvTunes Add-on) – This option will only be there if you have the TvTunes add-on installed. If you do, you can play your shows TV theme song when you view them in your library. A cool feature to have!
Home Window Options
- Hide main menu buttons – If you want to hide one of the main category buttons from your main menu, do it here! For example, if you don’t have any pictures or maybe getting the weather isn’t that important to you, check the box beside those categories to hide them from being shown.
This is where you can add Kodi submenu add-on shortcuts to your main menu. In the Confluence skin, simply click on a submenu item under a heading like Videos or Music and a box will come up telling you to pick what Kodi submenu add-on shortcut you want to add.
If you use a custom skin, the section to edit your submenu items may change, which may make things a bit more complicated to edit your submenu. If you would like to add a skin’s Kodi submenu section below, let us know on Twitter!
- In the Hybrid SilenceROM skin, the submenu options remain in the add-on shortcuts section, but clicking on an add-on shortcut will bring up a side menu with a ton of options! You can go into the Videos Menu for example, and pick any Video add-on, library shortcut, and other video related shortcuts like updating or clearing the video library. You can also add global Kodi commands, anything saved in your favourites, and input custom Kodi text commands (advanced).
- In the Rapier skin like in the All-In-One build, the submenu options are under Skin Settings > Home and then under the “Category Submenu” heading. Click on Home, Music, or a Custom option to bring up each submenu’s settings where you can click and alter each one.
Hopefully this will assist you in customizing your Kodi build the way you want. Editing the Kodi submenu is not as straight-forward as you might hope, so play around and see what works well for you.