The official Kodi 18 download isn’t available for public release yet, but the nightly alpha previews give a good sign of what new features are coming to the popular media center software.
Now that Kodi 17.6 is released as the last version of Krypton, it’s time to turn our attention to the Kodi 18 Download, code name Leia. The official release won’t be coming until 2018 sometime, but there are nightly alpha builds available on the Kodi website for those users who want to help with development or get an early taste of new features.
Here are some of the new features coming in Kodi 18 Leia that have us really excited:
- Libretro API added for full game client support. Libretro is the most popular backend for classic game emulators and inclusion into Kodi will open up a whole world of users who can emulate old games within the Kodi interface. Setup can be tricky for beginner users, so we are interested to see how each setup is on Kodi, particularly getting your game controllers (including Playstation and Xbox) to work.
- Improvements to nearly all backend PVR clients supported by Kodi including FilmOn, HDHomeRun ArgusTV, and others. This should mean better menus, feel, and look for viewing live TV channels via an over-the-air tuner.
- Improvements made to Inputstream clients, which improve network streaming protocols. This should hopefully open the door to creating native Kodi addons for online streaming services such as Sling TV, Youtube TV, and other live IPTV sources.
- Better Bluetooth support. This should allow controllers, remotes, keyboard, mouse, and other accessories better access to control Kodi.
- Speech-to-text and recommendations support on Android TV. This should allow Kodi to better integrate into the Android backend and be included in the recommendation tiles that come standard on newer Android devices (such as the nVidia Shield).
- Improved Python based web scraper support.
Once again, installing the Kodi 18 Download is NOT recommended on your main Kodi box. It is considered to be in alpha stage and there are still bugs to work out.
As soon as the Kodi team updates everyone on the status of Kodi 18, we will provide more information in this post.
If you want to test out Kodi 18 before public release, you can install the nightly release by following these steps:
Kodi 18 Alpha Download
- Visit the Kodi download page by clicking here or navigating to kodi.tv/download on your box..
- Select your operating system. A popup will appear and you’ll want to click on the Development Builds tab.
- Read the text warning you about what the nightly builds are meant for and refer to the guide on how to submit bug reports. When you are ready to download, click the appropriate button beside the word Nightly.
- The nightly build will download. When it is complete, launch it and install just like any software.