The Youtube Kodi addon is one of the biggest and most widely used dependencies on Kodi. Youtube is the biggest streaming websites on the internet and your Youtube Kodi addon is tightly integrated with hundreds of addons. Use our guide for Youtube Kodi FAQ about api keys, daily limit exceeded, settings, configuration, and making the most out of Youtube.
At face value, the Youtube Kodi addon gives you an interface to stream videos from the biggest streaming media website on the internet. The addon makes it easy for you to find, watch, and save Youtube content and videos.
A lot of popular Kodi addons also use Youtube as a dependency, passing off search queries to it as necessary. At the bottom of this guide is a list of addons which heavily rely on Youtube.
This guide explains other features the addon gives you and how to setup specific features.
NOTE: If you are reading this article on Husham’s website, he is a thieving cunt who scraped it from KODI TI PS.com. Don’t visit his garbage website.
Youtube Kodi Addon Latest Version
Currently, there are two concurrent versions of the Youtube Kodi addon, depending on what version of Kodi you are using:
- If you running Kodi Helix (version #14), the latest version of the Youtube Kodi addon for you is v5.4.6.
- If you are using any other official version of Kodi, the latest version of the addon is v6.5.2.
You will need v6.5.2 beta 2 in order to have working streams so go and make sure your Youtube addon is up to date if you are having trouble streaming from any Youtube sources.
YouTube Kodi Addon Features
Youtube Kodi v5
The following features exist in the current Youtube Kodi addon.
- Playback any stream available on Youtube, live or static.
- Access Youtube channels, search and save content for later viewing.
- Access ratings, subscriptions, likes/dislikes from within the addon
- Support for multiple languages
- Play videos in the highest quality possible or queue up a lower quality to save bandwidth.
Youtube Kodi v6
For Kodi 18 Leia, version 6 of the addon, it has the following improvements:
- Python 3 compatibility
- Ability to rate video right after watching
- Configure API keys from a web browser within Kodi
- New play route features for channel live streams
- Multi-user support
- Optimized caching for improved addon speed
- Added new playlists and folders to your account
The latest version of the Youtube 6 Kodi addon, v6.2.3 adds the following features:
- Add ‘Next Page’ to ‘More…’ -> ‘Add to…’ context menu
- Add icon and description to playlists in ‘More…’ -> ‘Add to…’ context menu in Kodi 17+
- Add ‘Play audio only’ context menu option
- Fix generated dash with no supported video streams being played when Audio only not enabled
- Fixed potential Runtime Error when retrieving total time of playing content
- Updated language strings
How to Install Youtube Kodi Addon Guide (official version)
- From the home screen, select Add-ons > Add-on Browser
- Select Install from Repository > Kodi Addon repository > Video Add-ons > Youtube > Install
- Wait for Add-on enabled notification
If you’ve never manually installed the Youtube addon by yourself and are worried that some addons aren’t working because of that – don’t worry! Youtube is also a major dependency that is automatically installed by an addon that needs it. Addons that call on the Youtube API automatically perform these actions behind the scenes. You only need to install the Youtube Kodi addon if you want to directly use its functionality within Kodi.
How to Install Youtube Kodi Addon Guide (unofficial alpha version)
- From the Kodi main menu, navigate to SYSTEM > File Manager > Add Source > None
- Type the following EXACTLY http://start.kodineuerleben.eu and select Done
- Highlight the box underneath and enter a name for this media Source like “.neu”. and then click OK
- Go back to your home screen.
- ON Kodi 17 Krypton or later: Select Add-ons > Add-on Browser
- ON Kodi 16 or earlier: Select SYSTEM > Add-Ons
- Select Install from Zip File > “.neu” > repository.KNE-x.x.zip and wait for the Add-on enabled notification
- Select Install from Repository > Kodi Neu Erleben repository > Video Add-ons > Youtube > Install
- Wait for Add-on enabled notification
Youtube Kodi Addons
The following addons use Youtube to pull live and static content. Click on each one to view installation instructions for each.
It is a lesser known fact that Youtube offers a ton of free live IPTV channels and content worth check out. From sports to video games to world news and entertainment, there are hundreds of live television stations to stream. The Live Tube Kodi addon takes all of those channels and puts them into an organized area for you to stream.
The YouTube Vault Kodi addon is a nice source for full movies and TV shows stored on YouTube and available to stream. The addon also contains music, news, sports, and other static content you can stream online in Kodi today.
Polaris pulls niche categories together into a single addon and most or all content is found directly from YouTube. From money saving ideas to karaoke to surfing to business ideas and sports replays, Polaris has a huge amount of unique content worth checking out today.
The FightTube Kodi addon is for those fans of mixed martial arts, boxing, and other combat sports. There are event replays, hype videos, interviews, historical documentaries, and other content loaded into FightTube and ready to stream today.
Nearly every single song and music video created can be found on YouTube. The MP3 Streams Kodi addon pulls metadata from the Billboard website and then redirects its search queries back to Youtube to play nearly every song in the entire world.
FDJ.HD from FrenchDJ is a massive Youtube addon focusing mostly on music content, concerts, setlists, and playlists in the EDM, techno, rap, rock, metal, alternative, and indie styles. As well, it has some other niche content such as documentaries, magic, stunts, and more. It is well organized with a ton of fully HD streams to check out.
Caught on Cam
The Caught on Cam addon has hidden camera and caught on camera content. It features embarrassing videos, pranks, and other popular Youtube Kodi channels. There is also a really good commercials area to check out as well.
If you like guns and survival content, then Grit is an addon you’ll want to check out. It features gun reviews, tips, historical content, how-to guides and other media for the alpha man.
How to Enable HD Videos in Youtube Kodi Addon
To enable the playback of HD videos in the Youtube addon, you MUST have InputStream Adaptive enabled. To do that:
- From the Kodi main menu, navigate to Add-ons > My Add-ons > VideoPlayer InputStream
- Click on InputStream Adapative and then select Enable.
- Select RTMP Input and then select Enable.
How to Setup Personal Youtube API Key
The Youtube Kodi addon is configured with a public API key and on occasion, you may have seen a “quota exceeded” error in Kodi. This means that too many people have used the public API key in the day and you are prevented from streaming on YouTube for the rest of the day.
To fix this quota exceeded Kodi error, you can setup a personal Youtube API key using the instructions below.
- Click HERE to visit the Google Cloud Console. Select your email preference (Yes or No, it does not matter). Select Yes to agree to the Terms of Service. Click Agree and Continue.
- Select Project > Create Project > Enter Project Name (the name does not matter) > Create. Wait until the next page loads with the the New Project that you just created.
- Click HERE to visit the Google API Library Area. Go to YouTube APIs > Select YouTube Data API > Enable.
- Click HERE to visit the Google API Credentials Area. Select Create Credentials > API Key. Copy and Save the API key. You will need this later. DO NOT POST THIS PUBLICALLY. Click Close.
- Select Create Credentials > OAuth Client ID > Configure Consent Screen. Enter a Name in “Product name shown to users” (the name does not matter). Click Save and WAIT for the next page to load with the OAuth Client ID screen. Then, Select Other > Create. Copy and Save the Client ID and the Client Secret. You will need these later. DO NOT POST THESE PUBLICALLY. Click OK.
- Back inside of Kodi, go to the YouTube addon > Settings > API Settings > Click Enable Personal API Keys > Enter all 3 Keys > Click OK
- Then, Sign Out and after Sign In again (with the normal 2 x web activation). After a successful Sign In to the YouTube addon you should now be using the Personal API Keys that you created.
Let us know on social media if you need any help!