Are you looking to watch live TV and on-demand movies, sports, and shows? If so, our guide on how to install the DirecTV Stream app on Android TV / Firestick will help you do just that. Do not miss out on the tips we provide in this article.
In this article, we will go over the following points:
- What is DirecTV Stream?
- DirecTV Stream plans and pricing
- DirecTV Stream features
- Install the DirecTV Stream app on Android TV
- Install the DirecTV Stream app on Firestick
- Install the DirecTV Stream app on Samsung TV
- Troubleshooting installation errors
What is DirecTV Stream?
DirecTV Stream lets the viewers watch live and on-demand videos through the internet. It offers 65,000 on-demand titles and 140+ live TV channels.
You don’t need to pay a yearly subscription or pay for any extra equipment to start streaming. You can watch DirecTV live sports and other video content through your Smart TV or PC.
To stream without a TV box, you need a lag-free experience. Make sure you have a high speed internet connection to seamlessly stream your favorite content. If you have an 8Mbps internet connection, you’re in for an amazing time streaming on DirecTV Stream.
DirecTV Stream plans and pricing
DirecTV Stream offers four paid plans.
The ENTERTAINMENT plan is for those who eat and live entertainment. It comprises 65+ channels including ESPN, TNT, Nickelodeon, and HGTV. The Entertainment plan is priced at $69.99/month.
The CHOICE plan is everything ENTERTAINMENT plus sports. If you’re a sports fanatic, this plan is all you need. Enjoy Regional Sports Networks like MLB Network, NBA TV, college sports networks, and more at no extra cost. You can opt for the Choice plan at $84.99/month.
The ULTIMATE plan includes everything in the CHOICE plan along with Oxygen, Golf Channel, NHL Network, Universal Kids, Regional Sports Networks, and more. It is priced at a monthly fee of $94.99.
The PREMIER plan is everything in the ULTIMATE plan plus HBO Max, Cinemax, SHOWTIME, STARZ, Regional Sports Networks, and more. The PREMIER package is priced at $149.99/month.
|Plan||Channel Count||Monthly Price|
DirecTV Stream Features
Here are some of the features of DirecTV that we really like.
Limitless storage for Cloud DVR
Your DVR storage relies on your subscription plan. Users taking legacy plans get access to 20 hours of DVR storage. You can upgrade your plan for an unlimited benefit costing $10 monthly.
Recordings in your DVR expire after a specific span within 90 days. You can add almost up to 30 series to your DVR.
You can watch DirecTV Stream on up to 20 devices simultaneously within the same home network. While outside the home network, you can connect up to three devices.
DirecTV Stream also features “Mix channels” to let the users watch multiple broadcasts like sports, news, weather, and more simultaneously.
37 TV Everywhere Apps
DirecTV Stream grants access to 37 TV Everywhere Apps. Check out the list of compatible apps below.
- A&E App
- AMC App
- BBC America App
- BET NOW
- Bravo Now
- CBS Sports App
- CMT App
- CNBC App
- Comedy Central App
- E! Now
- FOX Now
- Fox Sports Go
- Freeform App
- FX Now
- FYI App
- HBO GO
- MAX Go
- MLB At Bat
- MSG Go
- MSNBC Now
- Nat Geo TV App
- NBC App
- NBC Sports App
- NFL Mobile
- Oxygen Now
- Showtime Anytime
- Syfy Now
- Telemundo Now
- Universal Kids App
- Universo Now
- USA Now
- Watch ABC
- Watch Cooking Channel
- Watch DIY
- Watch ESPN
Pay-per-view programs are available on DirecTV Stream. Simply tune in toChannel 101 / 1101HD. Press the arrow keys on the remote to scroll through the schedule of upcoming events. Press OK to select the program you would like to watch.
DirecTV stream has child safety mode. Here the parents can block restricted content from their kids. Even Hulu Live and Sling TV have the same feature. Parental control on DirecTV doesn’t work on third-party apps for streaming. Set Parental control in each App you connect with DirecTV.
How to install the DirecTV Stream App on Android TV / Firestick / Samsung TV
You can install the DirecTV Stream app on Android TV and Firestick from the Google Play Store and Amazon App Store respectively. Also, you can install the DirecTV Stream APK on Android TV / Firestick using the Downloader app.
To begin with let’s go over installing DirecTV Stream app on the official app stores.
How to Install the DirecTV Stream App on Android TV from Google Play Store
- Sign up for DirecTV Stream
- Go to your Android TV’s Home Screen
- Go to Apps and select Google Play Store
- At the top of the screen, select the Search option
- Type in DirecTV Stream in the search box
- Select the app and click Install
- Log in using your DirecTV Stream credentials
- Now you can watch DirecTV Stream on your Android TV
How to access your DVR Recordings
- To download your stream fully, connect to Wi-Fi
- Open the DirecTV app and select Watch your DVR
- On your DVR, play any existing recording show from your playlist
- Press the Down arrow to proceed with downloading
- Go to My Downloads and choose the show you want to stream
How to add premium channels on DirecTV
To add premium channels use a device
- Head to Change Your TV Service
- Select Change Plan followed by Channel add-ons
- Review Premium/Movie Channels, or Sports
- Add the needed channel next to the channel you want and then hit Continue
Note: To speed up the download process for a series, open the series and click Download Series. All the new episodes recorded in your DVR will be ready for quicker downloads.
How to Install the DirecTV Stream App on Firestick from Amazon App Store
- On your Firestick device, connect to a Wi-Fi network
- Search the DirecTV app in the search bar.
- Click Get, and the DirecTV app will install on your Firestick.
Troubleshooting errors in Firestick
- Click Settings > System > Network
- Find the signal strength and checkmark and connect to your current network
- If you can’t see the network connection, connect to another network and select rescan
How to Install the DirecTV Stream APK on Android TV / Firestick using Downloader App
Downloader is an app that lets you install APK files without needing to manually download and move anything over on a USB stick. Click here to view our Downloader install guide to get it on your system. The link will open up in a new tab. Once you are done, come back here!
- Launch the Downloader app
- Select Allow in the prompt for access to photos, media, and files on your device if you agree
- Click OK in the Quick Start Guide box
- In the Search box, type DirecTV Stream
- Select Go
- Select Download App in the next prompt
- Wait for the installation to complete
- Click the Install button to confirm installation
- You will see the “DirecTV Stream ready to launch” message indicating the app is ready to use
That’s all! You are now ready to stream your favorite content on DirecTV Stream.
Install DirecTV Stream App on Samsung TV
Follow the below step-by-step guide to install the DirecTV Stream app on Samsung TV.
- Press Home on your Samsung remote
- Select the Launch APPS option on the left bottom of the screen
- Next, in the Search box, type DirecTV Stream
- Locate the app and press the Select button on your remote
- Hit Install and wait for the installation to complete
- DirecTV Stream launches on your Samsung TV
- Choose the app and pin it to your Home screen for instant access to the DirecTV feed
Suggested read: How to Install Typhoon TV APK on Android TV 
Troubleshooting Installation Errors
There are a few things to perform to fix troubleshooting errors.
|Error message||Reason||How to fix|
|Video streaming is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.||There are many unresolved issues.||Stream the movies, series, or shows later.|
|You’ve reached the maximum number of devices allowed for concurrent streaming. To watch on your current device, one of the other devices will have to stop streaming.||You can not stream DIRECTV exceeding two devices.||Upgrade the pack to 3 streams.|
|Your subscription does not include this channel. Please upgrade your package or add the premium programming.||You need a subscription for a premium network, or you need other TV packages to get this title.||Upgrade your package to premium.|
|We’re sorry, this video is no longer available.||Your movie and television playlists on DirecTV will be unavailable.||Pick another title.|
If the above mentioned step does not help, try the below troubleshooting steps.
- Sign out of directv.com
- Restart your PC and sign in again to directv.com
If this does not work as well, you can try
- Clearing your Cache
- Switching to a different internet connection
- Changing your web browser
Were you able to successfully install the DirecTV Stream app on your Android device? What streams do you look forward to watch on DirecTV Stream? Let us know in the comments section below.